Want to learn more about all things health- and wellness-related — and have fun while you're at it? Check out the 11th annual Healthy Living Fair!
The only one of its kind in the Quad-Cities, the fair is a celebration of local and natural foods, health and fitness, community organizations and environmental stewardship. Find it Saturday, June 17, next to the Freight House, 421 W. River Drive, Davenport.
Presented by Radish magazine, the fair will be open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. The nearby Freight House Farmers' Market will be open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Admission to both is free.
On the stage
• 9 a.m. — Rise and shine: Begin your fair experience with a quick community yoga class with Jeani Mackenzie from the Davenport School of Yoga
• 10 a.m. — Kick it up a notch: Check out a sampling of the Les Mills classes that the Two Rivers YMCA has to offer. Instructors will lead snippets of BodyAttack , a sports-inspired cardio workout, and BodyCombat, a martial arts-inspired cardio workout.
• 11 a.m. — Pet of the Year Contest: Bringing your furry friend to the fair? Stop by the Radish booth just before 11 a.m., and be ready to tell us how you and your pet keep each other happy and healthy. The winner will be featured on the cover of the August Radish!
• Noon-2 p.m. — Music: Come to the stage area to enjoy some music, or listen while you browse the fair. There will be food and drinks available throughout, including inside the Freight House at Front Street Brewery, the Fresh Deli by Nostalgia Farms, the Quad Cities Food Hub and more. Kids also can use the playground at the west end of the Freight House.
• Fun and education for the whole family: Kids love the Healthy Living Fair! There's a lot for little ones to do, including a nature craft activity, bean-bag toss and more with the City of Davenport Parks and Recreation. Stop by WQPT Quad-Cities PBS' booth to pick up an Exploring with WQPT kit while supplies last, which includes a farmers market scavenger hunt.
Parents can stop by the Parent Wellness Café booth for a variety of healthy living options for families, and visit Childbearing Year Resources to learn more about mother and baby resources. Learn about healthy and organic products with Greatest Grains and Heritage Natural Foods, and pick up a schedule of family programs from the Two Rivers YMCA and a Channel Cat schedule from MetroLINK.
• Bring your bikes: We will once again have bicycle parking available for those who want to use a little pedal power to get to the fair. While you're there, be sure to chat with folks from the QC Women’s Outdoors club to learn about local outdoor adventure destinations, and practice loading a bike on the bus rack with MetroLINK.
• We love to meet our readers! Have a great idea for something to include at the next Radish fair? Stop by the Radish booth and let us know your thoughts. While you're there, complete a survey about the magazine. The first 75 readers to do so will receive a special healthy living gift. Are you a fan of yoga, or interested in learning more? Get all the information about the second Radish Magazine Yoga Fest we'll be sponsoring in September. At the Radish booth, you also can snag back issues of the magazine, as well as reusable Radish bags!
• Farmers market: Don't forget to visit the Freight House Farmers' Market! From 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., the market will offer fresh produce (both local and brokered), baked goods, meats and poultry, eggs, locally produced wines, handcrafted soaps, cheese, garden plants, dog treats, handmade jewelry and more. Can't wait until you get home for a nibble? Food and beverage vendors on site will sell pizza, pastries, grilled meats, gourmet coffees and more.
• More downtown: There is plenty more to see and do in downtown Davenport, all within a short stroll of the fair. For ideas, visit downtowndavenport.com.
Support for the Healthy Living Fair is provided by The Friends of Radish: MetroLINK, KWQC-TV News 6 and WQPT Quad-Cities PBS.
Sponsors include Health Alliance Medicare, Davenport Levee Improvement Commission, the Freight House Farmers' Market, the City of Davenport Parks and Recreation, WOC 1420 Radio and the Dispatch•Argus•QCOnline.