Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Green Beret pleads not guilty in deadly bowling alley attack
AP

Green Beret pleads not guilty in deadly bowling alley attack

  • Updated
  • Comments
{{featured_button_text}}

ROCKFORD, Ill. (AP) — An Army special forces sergeant pleaded not guilty Friday to murder and other charges in the killing of three people and wounding of three others during a mass shooting at an Illinois bowling alley.

Duke Webb, of Shalimar, Florida, appeared in court via video from the jail in Winnebago County, Illinois, where he is being held without bond, the Rockford Register Star reported.

Webb, 37, is charged with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder in the Dec. 26 attack at Don Carter Lanes in Rockford. Prosecutors say he killed 69-year-old Jerome Woodfork and 73-year-old Dennis Steinhoff, both of Rockford, and 65-year-old Thomas Furseth, of Machesney Park. They say he also wounded two teenagers and a 62-year-old man.

Authorities said the attack seemed to be a random act of violence and an attorney for Webb, Elizabeth Bucko, has said the Green Beret may suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

According to Army service information, Webb was deployed to Afghanistan four times. The most recent deployment ended in July.

For copyright information, check with the distributor of this item, Rockford Register Star.

0
0
0
0
0

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

CHICAGO (AP) — Cook County's top prosecutor has dropped her opposition to the parole bid of a man convicted in the 1967 slaying of a Chicago police officer — the second time since last summer that she's done so in a case involving a convicted killer of a police officer.

  • Updated

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Top board leaders of Texas’ embattled power grid operator said Tuesday they will resign following outrage over more than 4 million customers losing electricity last week during a deadly winter storm, including many whose frigid homes lacked heat for days in subfreezing temperatures.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News