WOODHULL -- AlWood school board members Tuesday approved an AlWood-Cambridge co-op for boys and girls track for the next two school years.
“It's a struggle with the transportation, but we'll work through it,” said middle/high school principal Jay Bizarri.
The board also approved student handbook updates that Bizarri said made it more user-friendly. Although he will report on ISAT and ACT scores in July, Mr. Bizarri also said preliminary reports indicate the ISAT scores are “very positive.”
FFA adviser Robert Terwiliger thanked Mr. Bizarri for supporting the FFA officers and thanked the community for the program's continued success and growth.
In other business:
- A high school student was expelled for the 2008-09 school year following an expulsion hearing. The board action came after a fifth serious violation of the student code.
- Superintendent Shannon Bumann said 31 students signed up for summer classes at the elementary school. He thanked librarian Karen Schultz for her successful book sale at the close of school. “This sent an awful lot of books home with students,” he said.
You have free articles remaining.
- The board accepted the low bid for milk from Jerry's Dairy of Rock Island; bread from Interstate Brands Corp., Davenport; the inheritance fund interest from Farmers State Bank; and a fuel bid from Herr Petroleum in Galesburg of $4.167 per gallon for diesel and $3.461 per gallon for gas, including taxes.
- Mr. Bumann said registration and participation fees for the coming year will remain the same. Lunch price changes will be considered at the July meeting.
- The board set its meetings for the third Monday each month except on legal holidays. Meetings will start 7 p.m. April through October and 6 p.m November through March.
- Accepted the resignation of middle/high school guidance counselor Lindsay Higgerson.
- Hired Shannon Cremeens of New Windsor as a guidance counselor. The Monmouth College graduate holds a master's degree from Western Illinois University. Her 10-month position starts Aug. 1; her salary will be based on the district schedule.
- Hired Shea Ericson of Cambridge as fresh-soph volleyball coach.
- Hired Jane Tafonelli of New Windsor as LEAP parent coordinator for six hours a day.