JOLIET, Ill. (AP) — Lawyers for 14 men who claimed they were sexually abused by Roman Catholic priests say the Diocese of Joliet has agreed to pay $4.14 million to settle the claims.
The Herald-News in Joliet reports the diocese says the cases were settled last year, although plaintiffs' attorneys announced the settlement Wednesday. The newspaper also reports a spokesman for the diocese said 15 claims involved six priests and one lay teacher, and were settled for $4.19 million.
The alleged incidents occurred from the 1960s through the 1980s
Plaintiffs' attorney Mark McKenna said the problem with diocese officials is that they knew the accused priests were bad priest and merely moved them to other parishes.
In a statement, the diocese says none of the accused priests currently serve within the Diocese of Joliet.