Rome Capitol Theatre

About Rome Capitol Theatre

The construction of the Capitol was the conception of the Kallet Brothers (Myron J. and Joseph S.) who were involved in motion picture theater management in Rome as far back as 1920 with their acquisition of the Carroll Theater at 114 E. Dominick St., which they renovated and re-named The Strand Theater. In 1922, the Kallets purchased the Star Theatre on N. James St., and planned to demolish the block in 1926 to erect a new movie theater much larger in capacity. These plans ultimately fell through, but with the assistance of M. E. Comerford of the Comerford Amusement Co. movie theater chain, the Kallets procured the property at 216-224 W. Dominick St. in 1927 and, in February and March of 1928, the site was cleared and construction was begun on the new Capitol Theatre—a 2,000-seat edifice which was to become Rome’s first run movie house. (With the seating re-configured in the orchestra section in the 1950s, and some seat removal in the ‘80s to accommodate handicapped patrons, the house now seats 1,788.)

Other Information

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News