Davenport, IA 52804
About Putnam Museum
The Putnam was founded in December of 1867 as the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences, one of the first museums west of the Mississippi. Early on, the Putnam brought regional history, anthropology, ethnology and natural science learning opportunities to the people of eastern Iowa and western Illinois, and from its early days, the museum placed a special emphasis on educating children, providing outreach programs to boys and girls in the community starting in 1879.
In April 2014, we opened our Science Center, which has more than 45 hands-on experiences such as the Pull-Yourself-Up Pulley, Laser Fog, an interactive bi-lingual robot and more. Featuring graphics and information highlighting the connections between the phenomena visitors are experiencing and local Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) careers, the Center will enhance STEM literacy and help inspire visitors to pursue further STEM learning opportunities and careers, thereby helping to make our region more economically competitive.