Q-C Online support pages
Technical support article
Setup Instructions for Windows XP
Before you proceed any further you will need to call Quad-Cities OnlineŽ Customer Service at (309) 757-5037 during the phone support hours and provide us with the information to create an account. Please be ready with the contact information for the account holder - including name, address, and telephone number. You will also be asked to select a username and password.
A username is the identity you will be known as on the system and will also be the first part of your email address. For example, if you choose a username of JoeSomebody then your email address would be email@example.com. Usernames are restricted to being between 3 and 12 characters long with letters and/or numbers only, no spaces or other special punctuation is allowed.
The password is a special code known only to yourself and is required along with the username to access your account on our system. When choosing a password it is suggested that you use something which is not easily guessed by others to prevent your account from being accessed without your knowledge. The password must be between 3 and 9 characters with letters and/or numbers only (no spaces or punctuation) and cannot be the same as your username.
Go to Start and click Internet Explorer. Once opened, if the wizard does not start automatically, click on Tools and Internet Options. Then select the connection tab and the Setup button to start the wizard.
- You will first be welcomed to the connection wizard, hit Next to continue.
- You will want to select "Connect to the Internet" and then hit Next.
- Click the button to set up your connection manually, and hit Next.
- If you connect using your phone line and a modem, select that option and hit Next. If you use DSL and want to set up your back-up dial in account, select the modem option as well. Otherwise, DSL customers should select Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and a password. Hit Next and skip the following instructions about entering a phone number.
- You should now be prompted to enter your ISP name, which is QCONLINE. Hit Next to continue.
- The phone number to dial depends on where you are located and what is a local call for you. Enter whichever number below is a local call for you.
- 757-1160 - Moline access number with X2 or V.90 connect speeds
- 945-4775 - Geneseo access number with X2 or V.90 connect speeds
- 582-2554 - Aledo access number with X2 or V.90 connect speeds
- 386-5659 - Davenport access number for users outside the metro area only
- Now you will be asked to enter the username and password you picked out when you set up your account. Enter them both in lower case and hit Next.
- You are now done with the connection wizard, hit Finish to complete the process. (You can also check the box to create a desktop icon for your connection if you wish).
From your Windows desktop double-click on the Internet Explorer icon. A box will then pop up with the connection information. Be sure you enter the username and password that you selected in the previous step. If there is something in the username line already delete it out first before putting the proper information in. If you would like Windows to remember your password automatically so you do not have to type it in each time you can check the Save Password box. Once everything is entered click the Connect button.
Your computer will display a status box as it dials up to the service and connects. If you have Netscape or another browser you can use that also. When the browser opens it will load whatever start page it has set in its options. You are now on the Internet!
Now that you are connected to Quad-Cities OnlineŽ you have access to a wide variety of features and services available both on our system and out on the Internet in general. For information on setting up your email and other programs, as well as questions that you may have about the Internet in general, please proceed to the Technical Support page.