Q-C Online support pages
Technical support article
Using Quad-Cities OnlineŽ with a Sega Dreamcast
Sega has now come up with a way for people to play their Dreamcast system through the internet without the use of a computer. Although we have configured a Dreamcast using these instructions, we do not have technical support available for this service. These instructions are provided "as is" and we take no responsibility for problems and questions associated with using your Dreamcast through the internet.
The information provided below is directly from the Sega Dreamcast site as well as by AT&T. For more information, consult your Sega manual or the Sega Dreamcast Website.
How do I setup for Dreamcast Network?
1. Connect your Dreamcast to your TV
2. Connect your Dreamcast to a phone line
Make sure the Dreamcast is turned off. Connect one end of the included phone cable to the phone jack on the Dreamcast modem located on the rear of the Dreamcast. Connect the other end of the phone cable to a telephone wall jack. You may need to unplug your phone from the wall jack before you can connect the phone cable from the Dreamcast. It does not matter which end of the phone cable is plugged into the Dreamcast or the wall.
- Make sure the phone line is analog. Use of a digital phone line may overpower the Dreamcast modem and is not recommended by Sega.
- If your telephone wall jack is not a modular phone jack, you will need to get a modular conversion plug so that a modular plug can be connected to it. Contact your local telephone service provider for further information.
- Do not touch the plugs on the ends of the phone cable.
- If the phone cable is not long enough, use a longer phone extension cable (sold separately).
- Do not use an overly long phone cable. The longer the phone cable, the weaker the phone signal becomes. If the modem does not seem to work correctly or you get frequently disconnected, try a shorter phone cable.
- Do not bend, knot or kink the phone cable. Take care when positioning the phone cable to ensure that it will not trip someone or become snagged in some way.
- Position the phone cable as far away as possible from electrical devices such as computer monitors, TVs and speakers. Communication errors may occur if the cable is located too close to such devices.
3. Put the Dreamcast Network (DCN) browser disk into the Dreamcast console.
- After the software has been loaded, you will be asked to choose an Internet Service Provider (ISP), the company that connects you to the Internet. To use Quad-Cities OnlineŽ as your ISP, use your controller to move the cursor to Use Your Current ISP and press the A button. The A button is what is used to select a blank, letters on the on screen keyboard, and to choose the OK buttons on each window.
- A new screen will now appear stating that you are Choosing an Access Provider, select OK to continue.
- Now you will see a window with 3 options, Internet Connection, E-mail Account, and Display Settings. Choose Internet Connection.
- You will be prompted to enter your Basic Information. Enter all appropriate QCO information in the proper blank. By using the cursor and the A button, click on the first field which is Real Name. An on screen keyboard will appear. Use this to enter the proper information in each blank. The phone number can be replaced with the Davenport number of 322-6999 only if Davenport is a local call and Moline is long distance. If you are in Geneseo, enter 945-4775 and if you are calling from the Aledo area, us 582-2554. Otherwise, use the regular QCO modem banks in Moline with the phone number of 757-1160. Choose the Close button on the virtual keyboard to remove the keyboard image and then choose OK when you are finished. See the image below for detail on what to place in each blank.
- Once you select OK, You will be brought to the Dial Up Options. Leave everything as it is unless you know you need to dial 9, to get out of your office phone system or need to dial long distance to access QCO modems in Moline and Davenport.
- Now you will see the Proxy Settings. We do not run a Proxy Server, therefore leave this window as it is and hit OK.
- You should now be back to the Required Settings window where you should select E-mail Account from the icons. Enter in your e-mail information and the mail servers of mail.qconline.com, remembering to remove the mail server already in the blank before typing. To get the @ symbol to appear, point to Shift, hit A and then point to the @ symbol (in the top row, where the number 2 was) and hit A. Select OK when all blanks have been changed to reflect your QCO accounnt. If you can not see the OK button, point to close on the on-screen keyboard and hit A. See the image below for more details.
4. Save Settings and Log On
Click on Save to save the settings. This will bring you to the main login screen where you can dial in and/or check your E-mail. For additional instructions and information, please refer to the Dreamcast Network manual that was enclosed with the software and hardware you purchased. Please refer to "Legal Disclaimer" about the responsibilities and risks of the World Wide Web, E-mail, and Chat.
How do I use my E-mail on the Sega Dreamcast Console?
To get to your E-mail, select Start on your Dreamcast controller to bring up the Sega compass. Navigate to the mail icon, which is represented by an envelope and is located directly above Home, and click the controller's A button. A screen will appear showing the amount of mail in your inbox, then the inbox will appear. To read a message, navigate to the message's summary (the blue underlined text under the Subject heading on your screen) and click the A button on your Dreamcast controller. To create a message, select New from the top row of buttons on your screen. To access your address book, select Start on your Dreamcast controller to bring up the Sega compass.
Navigate to the address icon, which is represented by an ampersand (@), and click the controller's A button to open the address book window. Every system comes with two addresses already set: "Customer Support @ SEGA" and "Feedback to Planetweb". You must have a memory card installed in order to permanently save address book entries. Otherwise, they will be saved only for your current session. The buttons at the bottom of the address book window function as follows:
- New Address: This allows you to enter a recipient's name and e-mail address. Note: you must have a memory card installed in order to permanently save address book entries. Otherwise,they will be saved only for your current session.
- Up: If the you have more than eight addresses saved, this allows you to scroll up in the list.
- Down: If you have more than eight addresses saved, this allows you to scroll down in the list.
- Addresses/Names: This lets you toggle between an e-mail address and the name of the person associated with it.
- Save: This allows you to save your address book file. Note: you must have a memory card installed in order to permanently save address book entries. Otherwise, they will be saved only for your current session.
- Delete!/Send To: This lets you toggle between deleting an e-mail address and selecting addresses for outgoing messages.
- Cancel: This closes the address book window.
- Load: Appears to function like Save.
- To send an attachment: The Dreamcast e-mail application is not capable of sending attachments.
To stop checking for or sending e-mail, select Start on your Dreamcast controller to bring up the Sega compass. Navigate to the Stop icon, then click the controller's A button.
How do I browse the Web using my Sega Dreamcast Console?
Sega Dreamcast is equipped with the Planetweb browser, which is specifically designed for accessing Web pages via a TV screen. To type in a new Web address, or URL: Place the screen cursor to the right of the word Title in the upper left section of the screen, then click the A button on
the Dreamcast controller. This will bring up a screen titled URL along with the on-screen keyboard, which can be used to enter the new URL. Navigating back and forth: To access the browser's back and forward buttons, select Start on your Dreamcast controller to bring up the Sega compass. Click the A button on the arrow representing the direction you wish to go. To navigate a page with pull-down menus, remember that the X icon next to the pull-down serves the same purpose as a Select, Go or Submit button. Also, the Planetweb browser is likely to have trouble with pull-downs
generated by Java. Bookmarks/Favorites: To access your bookmarked Web addresses (also known as favorites), select Start on your Dreamcast controller to bring up the Sega compass. Navigate to the bookmark icon, which is represented by a heart, then click the controller's A button. This will open a bookmark window that is, by default, populated with Sega and Welcome to Planetweb bookmarks. The buttons at the bottom of the Bookmarks screen function as follows:
- Add Current Link: When clicked, this will add the location that is opened at the time. Note: you must have a memory card installed in order to permanently save bookmarks. Otherwise, they will be saved only for your current session.
- Up: If you have more than eight bookmarks, you will be able to scroll up within the list.
- Down: If you have more than eight bookmarks, you will be able to scroll down within the list.
- URLs: Here you can toggle between the name of a saved site and its URL, or Web address.
- Save: This lets you save your bookmark file. Note: you must have a memory card installed in order to permanently save bookmarks. Otherwise, they will be saved only for your current session.
- Delete: This button lets you toggle between deleting or visiting a Web location.
- Cancel: To exit the bookmark window.
- Load: Appears to function like Save.
To stop a Web page from loading, select Start on your Dreamcast controller to bring up the Sega compass. Navigate to the Stop icon, then click the controller's A button. Parental controls: You can sign up for and administer the Planetweb browser's parental control here. Font controls are not available on the Planetweb browser.