Q-C Online support pages
Technical support article
Connecting to America Online through QCO
If you are in an area where it is long distance for you to call into the America Online (AOL) modem banks but it is a local call to one of our Quad-Cities OnlineŽ numbers (Moline, Geneseo, Aledo), you can use Quad-Cities OnlineŽ as a dial up connection and then "SLIP" in to AOL. You will need to purchase both a Quad-Cities OnlineŽ account as well as an account through AOL in order to accomplish this. America Online offers an account called BYOA (bring your own access) for situations such as this and charges $14.95 per month for this service. To contact America Online, call 1-800-754-0403 and ask them about purchasing a BYOA account. These instructions assume you have already contacted both America Online and Quad-Cities OnlineŽ, received the CD from QCO and installed it on your machine so that you have an icon called Quad-Cities OnlineŽ on your desktop for dialing up.
- Open your America Online and choose the Setup button.
- Select Create Location button from the list to the right.
- The location Name should say something like QCO.
- The only item you need to change in this section is the Network drop down box. Select TCP/IP from the list under both First Try and Second Try. Leave all other areas blank!
- Select Save from the list and hit OK at the Setup screen to bring you back to the main AOL window. Once you have set everything up once, you should not need to go back into the setup anymore.
Anytime you wish to log in to AOL you will need to double click the Quad-Cities OnlineŽ icon on your desktop. Enter your username and password and hit Connect. Once you are connected, you can open your AOL and choose SIGN ON from their login screen.
Now you should be able to log in to your America Online account, using Quad-Cities OnlineŽ as your dial in access. If you have problems with your AOL, listen to hear if it is even dialing out. Make note of any errors that occur. If it is dialing, but not connecting, you may want to try using the back up phone number as the first choice modem number. You can also contact Quad-Cities OnlineŽ to verify your login information or to verify the phone numbers. If you can get the QCO connection to dial and connect but you cannot get into your AOL account, you will need to contact AOL for technical support. You can verify your connection to QCO by connecting and then opening Internet Explorer or Netscape. If web pages load, you are connected to the internet.