Day in history for October 4, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
The popular steamer Ben Campbell, under the command of that obliging Captain Dodge, will leave for the wharf at 6 this evening for Keokuk, St Louis and points in between.1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
Miss Ruth Hemenway was elected queen of the Rock Island exposition in the voting contest, which closed today.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
About 100 entries are expected in the fourth annual outdoor art show to be held by the Rock Island Guild at the Longview Park shelter between noon and 5 p.m. Sunday. Participation in the show is open to all Quad-Cities area artists.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in October 2008




Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept. 16, the 259th day of 2014. There are 106 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A fine lumber mill is on the course of erection at Andalusia. A flouring mill at that location is doing a fine business.
1889 — 125 years ago: J.B. Lidders, past captain of Beardsley Camp, Sons of Veterans, returned from Paterson, N.Y., where he attended the National Sons of Veterans encampments.
1914 — 100 years ago: President Wilson announced that he had received from the imperial chancellor of Germany a noncommittal reply to his inquiry into a report that the emperor was willing to discuss terms of peace.
1939 — 75 years ago: Delegates at the Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church in Springfield voted to raise the minimum pay of ministers so that every pastor would get at least $1,000 annually.
1964 — 50 years ago: An audience of more than 2,600 persons jammed into the Davenport RKO Orpheum theater with a shoe horn feasted on a Miller-Diller evening that was a killer night. Phyllis Diller sent the audience with her offbeat humor. And send them she did! It was Miss Diller's third appearance in the Quad-Cities area.
1989 — 25 years ago: A few years ago, a vacant lot on 7th Avenue and 14th Street in Rock Island was a community nuisance. Weeds grew as high 18 inches. Today, the lot has a new face, thanks to Michael and Sheila Rind and other neighbors who helped them turn it into a park three weeks ago.





(More History)