Day in history for October 12, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
Messre, Lowrey, Thomas Andamp; Co., are now prepared to furnish coal in any quantity to all who may favor them with orders. Their coal is of the best quality.1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
The Rock River association of the Congregational churches will meet at East Moline beginning tomorrow.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
James Schroeder, king, and Janice Scott, queen, reigned as royalty of the Milan Grade School carnival last night. Mayor Glenn Reid of Milan crowned the two sixth graders at the ceremonies last night. The event was sponsored by the PTA of the school. The all-school event was attended by teachers, students, parents and friends.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in October 2008



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, July 24, the 205th day of 2014. There are 160 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The Rev. R.J. Humphrey, once a clergyman in this city, was reported killed in a quarrel in New Orleans.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rock Island Citizens Improvement Association held a special meeting to consider the proposition of consolidating Rock Island and Moline.
1914 -- 100 years ago: The home of A. Freeman, 806 3rd Ave., was entered by a burglar while a circus parade was in progress and about $100 worth of jewelry and $5 in cash were taken.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The million dollar dredge, Rock Island, of the Rock Island district of United States engineers will be in this area this week to deepen the channel at the site of the new Rock Island-Davenport bridge.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The Argus "walked" to a 13-0 victory over American Container Corporation last night to clinch the championship of Rock Island's A Softball League at Northwest Douglas Park.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The Immediate Care Center emergency medical office at South Park Mall is moving back to United Medical Center on Sept. 1. After nearly six years in operation at the mall, Care Center employees are upset by UMC's decision. The center is used by 700 to 800 people each month.








(More History)