PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Day in history for October 11, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
HendersonAndrsquo;s dramatic troupe intends to speak at the Island City Hall on or about Oct. 15.1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
The total circulation at the Rock Island Public Library for the month of September was 4,263 publications.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
Hyman Goldman, president of HymanAndrsquo;s Furniture Store Inc., announces the grand opening of the expanded store. An open house will be from 1 to 6 p.m. tomorrow in connection with the formal opening, featuring the remodeled and expanded upholstered furniture shop and the newly-acquired chair store. The operators of the store are Mr. and Mrs. Hyman Goldman, generally known in the Quad-Cities area as Andldquo;Mr. and Mrs. HymanAndrdquo; and their son, Stanley Goldman.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in October 2008




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)