Day in history for September 5, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
We take a great pleasure in acknowledging the present of a beautiful bouquet from the garden of David Lingle.1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
William Randolph Hearst, noted publisher, will speak at the Rock Island Labor Day celebration.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
Break-ins overnight were reported this morning at two Rock Island schools and offices in both were ransacked. Both St. Pius X School, at 30th Avenue and 24th Street, and Eugene Field School, 29th Street and 31st Avenue, were entered but nothing was reported missing from either building.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in September 2008




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)