LOCAL FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Day in history for September 14, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
Five hundred men are wanted by Messrs Reynolds, Wilber Andamp; Co., to work on the Sterling and Rock Island Railroad. Their headquarters are at Lindon, above Cordova.1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
A stage of 2.3 feet was reached by the Mississippi River at Rock Island today, as the level continued to lower.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
Work is scheduled to be started tomorrow on a boat ramp and dock improvement on the Mississippi River at Loud Thunder Forest Preserve. A 40-foot concrete ramp and 20-foot floating dock are to be installed. The work will be an improvement of the upstream ramp at the lower picnic area on Highway 92, one of the two ramps now in use at Loud Thunder.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in September 2008



Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Sept. 20, the 263rd day of 2014. There are 102 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Recruits can get $500 by enlisting now. Lt Jobe has a recruiting office on Illinois Street.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Superintendent Schnitger formally inaugurated the Rock Island and Davenport Railway Line of the Holmes system by putting on four cars to start.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Wires of the defunct Union Electric Co. are being removed by city electricians.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The Bishop Hill softball team won the championship in WHB"S Mississippi Valley tournament at Douglas Park.
1964 -- 50 years ago: A boom in apartment construction has hit Rock Island, with approximately 300 units either in or near the construction stage or due for an early rezoning decision.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Members of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission are hoping to revive their push for a new $70 million four-lane bridge spanning the Mississippi River.






(More History)