Day in history for September 13, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
Two go-ahead young men, Conrad Beck and Augustana Nester have purchased KaleAndrsquo;s Barber shop on Eagle Street. They are capital shavers. Give them a call.1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
The Rock Island YMCA has decided to conduct classes in salesmanship for young men who are unemployed.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Gass, 1416 7th Ave., Rock Island, have received word that their son, Pfc. Wayne Gass, has been promoted to corporal. Cpl. Gass has been stationed in Hawaii for the past 18 months, but will return to the United States Oct. 15. Gass was employed by FarrellAndrsquo;s Market before entering the service in November 1956.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in September 2008



Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept, 30, the 273rd day of 2014. There are 92 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: The ARGUS Boys are very anxious to attend the great Democratic mass meeting tomorrow and we shall therefore, print no paper on the day.
1889 — 125 years ago: H.J. Lowery resigned from his position as manager at the Harper House.
1914 — 100 years ago: Curtis & Simonson was the name of a new legal partnership formed by two younger members of the Rock Island County Bar. Hugh Cyrtis and Devore Simonson..
1939 — 75 years ago: Harry Grell, deputy county clerk was named county recorder to fill the vacancy caused by a resignation.
1964 — 50 years ago: A new world wide reader insurance service program offering around the clock accident protection for Argus subscribers and their families is announced today.
1989 — 25 years ago: Tomato plant and other sensitive greenery may have had a hard time surviving overnight as temperatures neared the freezing point.




(More History)