Day in history for August 9, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We notice that T.A. Burditt is remodeling his store and will open in a day or two with a large and choice stock of wines, liquors and cigars on hand.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Many Rock Island residents are playing lawn tennis and baseball, because of the excellent weather.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- On the basis of early morning returns, the first Illinois primary election resulted in light balloting.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Lt. Col. Glen E. Edgerton, now in charge of the Rock Island District Corps of Engineers, will leave for Washington, D.C. within a few weeks to take charge of the river and harbors section in the War Department. Lt. Col. Edgerton has been in charge of the Rock Island District since the fall of 1930.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- An American Telephone Co. cable two-and-a-half miles east of Geneseo on the canal road was riddled by eight rifle shots some time Wednesday, it was reported to Henry County authorities. Company officials said someone with a .22-caliber rifle probably was shooting at birds and damaged the 260-wire cable.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island County Board will hear comments from the public next Tuesday on the proposed merger of the countyAndrsquo;s health department and tuberculosis sanitarium. The county boardAndrsquo;s welfare committee decided Monday that the proposal should be presented to the full board.
Back: Available days in August 2008