Day in history for August 8, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday was decidedly one of the hottest days of the season. It was a day that would give sinners a faint idea of what is in store for them.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Twelve Rock Island men left for Bloomington, Ill., today to attend the state convention of Red Men in that city.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Thirty-one miles will be added to the Rock Island Southern Lines from Viola to Aledo.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Arrangements have been completed for the community night program to be given at Long View Park tomorrow night. It will be presented as one of three community night programs planned by the Rock Island Playground and Recreation Commission as concluding features of the season. Don Sweet of East Moline will serve as master of ceremonies at Long View.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island ArsenalAndrsquo;s first launcher systems and components for the Nike-Hercules, the ArmyAndrsquo;s faster, longer range missile, have rolled off the assembly line. The ArmyAndrsquo;s Nike-Hercules, a surface-to-air missile, is used in guarding metropolitan areas in America from a surprise enemy attack.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- It was just a friendly, little gathering you understand Andndash; just Willie Nelson and about 14,000 of his good friends right here in the Quad-Cities. When the 6:30 showtime rolled around at the Great Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds, the orderly crowd was primed for a good time.
Back: Available days in August 2008