Day in history for August 7, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- In our telegraphic report of this morning will be found the particulars on the Trans-Atlantic telegraph cable. This great experiment has at last been successfully accomplished.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island city jail is undergoing a thorough remodeling. Doors and grates are being installed.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- On Aug. 9, the people of Illinois will vote for the first time for party candidates under the new primary law which went into effect July 1.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Qualifying in the womenAndrsquo;s annual championship golf tournament at the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club ends tomorrow. Mrs. C.D. Waterman of Davenport is defending champion.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Continental Oil Company announced that two Quad-City area residents were among the 112 winners of their national spring contest staged in conjunction with the introduction of the new Conoco Super Motor Oil. The two are Walter E. Baldwin, 1225 West 7th St., and Mrs. A.I. Kelsey, 2829 Grand Ave., both of Davenport.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A party marked the end of MerlinAndrsquo;s Midsummer Magic reading program at the Rock Island Public Library July 30, and a special treat was on hand. The Eulenspiegel Puppet Theatre, a professional company from Iowa City, traveled to Rock Island to perform for the youngsters.
Back: Available days in August 2008