Day in history for August 6, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We are now turning out job work of excellent workmanship. We do all kinds, from a shin-plaster to a mammoth poster in color or black and white.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Fully 2,500 laborers attended the picnic at BrooksAndrsquo; Grove yesterday.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The City Council inspected improvement work done in Rock Island yesterday and today.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Following a series of conferences between officials of the Rock Island baseball club and Sidney Weil, president of the Cincinnati Reds, it was announced today that Tom Robello, third baseman of the Islanders, will report to Cincinnati next Friday.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- One of the last three remaining breweries in Iowa, the plant of the Uchtorff Brewing Co., West 2nd St., Davenport, will be dismantled. Albert F. Uchtorff, president of Uchtorff Co., announced he has signed a contract with the Eagle Industrial Service, Rock Island, to remove the beer manufacturing buildings and equipment.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Beer sales at Indian Bluff Golf Course could be a good source of revenue and Rock Island County Forest Preserve Commission members will decide if they should break with tradition and sell beer there next year.
Back: Available days in August 2008