Day in history for August 5, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The concert this evening for the benefit of Trinity Church will take place at Island City Hall.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- It is rumored that the street car company is to build tracks over the government bridge.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The fourth quarterly conference of the Spencer Memorial Methodist Church was held yesterday. The Rev. F.E. Shult, pastor, was asked to return.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- A climb to the summit of Mt. Ranier, where snow is deep and the winds blow strong at 14,408 feet above sea level, has been made by Joseph DeVacht and Merrill OAndrsquo;Melia, both of Rock Island. They were members of a party of 19 youths.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Person-to-person solicitation in the Dr. Mabel Otis Memorial campaign was begun today with an organization breakfast at the LeClaire Hotel. The drive is to raise $16,000 to build a conservatory annexed to the Moline Garden Center at Riverside Park, in memory of the late Dr. Otis, prominent Moline physician and civic worker.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Moline Public Hospital and Lutheran Hospitals are planning a wedding, but they can still back out before going to the church. The hospitals today announced hiring a consultant firm to develop a consolidation plan.
Back: Available days in August 2008