Day in history for August 30, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
The brick work on the high school building is about being completed. The building has been made more substantial than it was before it burned. A brick wall has been run up inside, which was not in the former, substantial braces or stays have been put in, and the building improved in other ways, so that it will be in point of strength, as good as it could be.1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
The Rock Island County teachersAndrsquo; institute which has been held at the Rock Island high school building closed this morning.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
The fate of Browning Field, where fire last Saturday destroyed the grandstand, concerned Moline aldermen last night and the city will discuss future plans with school officials.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in August 2008



Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept, 30, the 273rd day of 2014. There are 92 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: The ARGUS Boys are very anxious to attend the great Democratic mass meeting tomorrow and we shall therefore, print no paper on the day.
1889 — 125 years ago: H.J. Lowery resigned from his position as manager at the Harper House.
1914 — 100 years ago: Curtis & Simonson was the name of a new legal partnership formed by two younger members of the Rock Island County Bar. Hugh Cyrtis and Devore Simonson..
1939 — 75 years ago: Harry Grell, deputy county clerk was named county recorder to fill the vacancy caused by a resignation.
1964 — 50 years ago: A new world wide reader insurance service program offering around the clock accident protection for Argus subscribers and their families is announced today.
1989 — 25 years ago: Tomato plant and other sensitive greenery may have had a hard time surviving overnight as temperatures neared the freezing point.




(More History)