Day in history for August 3, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We notice that the Island City Saloon has again been opened by the proprietors of the house, and we are glad to notice that Harry has been retained as master of ceremonies.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Miss Nallie Burke, famous equestrienne, will give an exhibition of her ability in Rock Island Aug. 15.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island railway postal clerks claimed the state baseball championship yesterday afternoon when they defeated the Chicago team, 5 to 2.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- A number of additional prizes have been obtained for winners in the Jimmy Allen model airplane races to be held Saturday afternoon at the Davenport Municipal Airport, according to the joint committee of the Rock Island, Davenport and Moline Junior Chambers of Commerce, sponsors.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Marion exploded for nine runs in the sixth inning, when Rock Island committed five errors, to defeat the host team, 10-6, for the Illinois Babe Ruth League championship last night at Douglas Park.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Five beige Illinois Department of Corrections buses lined up inside the East Moline Correctional Center compound Tuesday afternoon, waiting to unload 186 prisoners that would nearly double the institutionAndrsquo;s population. Transferred from prisons around the state, the convicts were being moved to the EMCC as part of the DOCAndrsquo;s Andldquo;crashAndrdquo; program to relieve overcrowding in other facilities.
Back: Available days in August 2008