LOCAL FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Day in history for August 27, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
There is an immense quantity of fruit in our market now. Wise Rock Islanders ought to take advantage of the situation.1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
Committees are at work preparing the program for the annual Rock Island Labor Day celebration.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
A brief history of the Sauk and Fox Indians was outlined by Dr. R.W. Slack of Davenport, second vice president of the Indian Pow-Wow Council, at the Rock Island Rotary Club luncheon yesterday noon.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in August 2008



Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Sept. 20, the 263rd day of 2014. There are 102 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Recruits can get $500 by enlisting now. Lt Jobe has a recruiting office on Illinois Street.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Superintendent Schnitger formally inaugurated the Rock Island and Davenport Railway Line of the Holmes system by putting on four cars to start.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Wires of the defunct Union Electric Co. are being removed by city electricians.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The Bishop Hill softball team won the championship in WHB"S Mississippi Valley tournament at Douglas Park.
1964 -- 50 years ago: A boom in apartment construction has hit Rock Island, with approximately 300 units either in or near the construction stage or due for an early rezoning decision.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Members of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission are hoping to revive their push for a new $70 million four-lane bridge spanning the Mississippi River.






(More History)