Day in history for August 25, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
Comment is unnecessary in regard to the ability of the theater company now in town to perform any play at all. The crowd that nightly flocks to this place is evidence enough. The plays for tonight are Andldquo;MacbethAndrdquo; and Andldquo;The Stage Struck Yankee.Andrdquo;1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
Work on the Mississippi River dike which will keep about 20,000 acres of land dry is progressing rapidly.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
More than 6,500 visitors jammed the fairgrounds south of East Moline Saturday for the final day of the Rock Island County Fair, bringing total attendance for the 5-day event to a record-breaking 29,000.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in August 2008

Local events heading

  Today is Saturday, Sept. 20, the 263rd day of 2014. There are 102 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Recruits can get $500 by enlisting now. Lt Jobe has a recruiting office on Illinois Street.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Superintendent Schnitger formally inaugurated the Rock Island and Davenport Railway Line of the Holmes system by putting on four cars to start.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Wires of the defunct Union Electric Co. are being removed by city electricians.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The Bishop Hill softball team won the championship in WHB"S Mississippi Valley tournament at Douglas Park.
1964 -- 50 years ago: A boom in apartment construction has hit Rock Island, with approximately 300 units either in or near the construction stage or due for an early rezoning decision.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Members of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission are hoping to revive their push for a new $70 million four-lane bridge spanning the Mississippi River.

(More History)