Day in history for August 22, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
It is believed there are some counterfeiters prowling around. Keep a sharp lookout for them.1883 -- 125 years ago:

1908 -- 100 years ago
A chorus of 124 voices has been formed at the Methodist camp meeting now being held in TindallAndrsquo;s Grove, south of Milan.1933 -- 75 years ago:

1958 -- 50 years ago
The ''sidewalk superintendents'' are going to lose their jobs on the Iowa-Illinois Memorial Bridge addition project. Effective Saturday, the sidewalk on the bridge will be closed as a safety measure.1983 -- 25 years ago:

Back: Available days in August 2008

Local events heading

  Today is Tuesday, Sept, 30, the 273rd day of 2014. There are 92 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: The ARGUS Boys are very anxious to attend the great Democratic mass meeting tomorrow and we shall therefore, print no paper on the day.
1889 — 125 years ago: H.J. Lowery resigned from his position as manager at the Harper House.
1914 — 100 years ago: Curtis & Simonson was the name of a new legal partnership formed by two younger members of the Rock Island County Bar. Hugh Cyrtis and Devore Simonson..
1939 — 75 years ago: Harry Grell, deputy county clerk was named county recorder to fill the vacancy caused by a resignation.
1964 — 50 years ago: A new world wide reader insurance service program offering around the clock accident protection for Argus subscribers and their families is announced today.
1989 — 25 years ago: Tomato plant and other sensitive greenery may have had a hard time surviving overnight as temperatures neared the freezing point.

(More History)