Day in history for August 14, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- In the lower portion of the city, there are quite a number of new buildings being erected.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The old machinery at the city waterworks building was set in motion yesterday afternoon, but ran only two hours. Three defective pipes developed.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Order of Owls was established today in Rock Island.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The office of the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce in the Fort Armstrong Hotel was a beehive of activity today as retailers rushed to file their first returns and remittances under the Illinois 2 percent sales tax law. Reports and payments must be sent to the state department of finance not later than tomorrow.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Parades, a carnival, top professional entertainment, street dances, a horseshow, ball game and valuable prize awards Andndash; all this and more are included on the first Milan Indian Summer Festival program, which was completed at a committee meeting in the Milan American Legion building last night.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The big news in agriculture this summer has been the record-breaking hot, dry weather which has left crops in much of the Corn Belt wilting and withered in the summer sun. It appears there is no immediate end in sight.
Back: Available days in August 2008