Day in history for August 13, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- It is now believed the corn crop will be one of the finest for a number of years.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The two new cars for the Milan Streetcar Co. arrived today.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Forty-nine children are housed at Bethany Home in Rock Island.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island and Keokuk last night put on one of those wild games which have become quite common this season in the Mississippi Valley League. Together they amassed 33 hits, good for 50 bases. The Islanders showed more activity at the bat, and on the baselines, so they were on the long end of the 22-9 score.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Togas and columns set the open air stage for Andldquo;Oedipus RexAndrdquo;, a Greek drama to be presented Saturday and Sunday in Lincoln Park, Rock Island. A part of the Starlight Revue Series, the drama is to be performed by members of the Genesius Guild.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Quad-City Cruisers Car Club will have its second Andldquo;Summer Sock HopAndrdquo; tonight at W.L. Eddy School, 125 W. 2nd Ave., Milan. The doors will open at 6 p.m., and music will start at 7 p.m. and continue until midnight. The band will be Andldquo;Shenandoah,Andrdquo; which specializes in Andlsquo;50s and Andlsquo;60s tunes.
Back: Available days in August 2008