Day in history for August 12, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday the grading of Swan Street was begun. Few streets in the city need working more than this one.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island Stars defeated the Iowa City nine yesterday at the 9th Street diamond by a score of 10-9.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Elaborate ground plans for the Rock Island Exposition to be held in September were adopted by the board of directors last night.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. C.D. Waterman of Davenport, defending champion, won her 13th title at Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club this morning by defeating Mrs. E.G. Don, also of Davenport. The match was one of the closest ever played in the womenAndrsquo;s finals with Mrs. Waterman coming from behind to win.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Hog farmers in Illinois made the highest return in 1957 that they have realized since 1942, according to records kept by more than 5,000 farmers in the Illinois Farm Management Service.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Beginning late this year, Iowa Quad-Cities residents will be served by a new therapeutic radiation unit known as a linear accelerator. The unit will be set up in a specially constructed addition to the Central Park Medical Pavilion adjacent to Mercy Hospital, Davenport.
Back: Available days in August 2008