Day in history for August 10, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Sunday morning some of the prisoners confined in the jail in this city attempted to escape by sawing away the bars before one of the windows.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Two new street cars purchased by the Milan street car company are expected to arrive soon.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- An automobile belonging to Deere Andamp; Co., Moline, turned over at Prospect Park, Moline, yesterday afternoon. The occupants escaped serious injury.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- An egg with a double shell was laid yesterday by one of the chickens owned by Fred J. Hausman, 1837 45th St., Rock Island. The inner shell was perfect, and the outer was semi-solid, Mr. Hausman reported.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Work has been started in the 35th St. Park, Rock IslandAndrsquo;s newest playground area, on an $11,900 building which will house a shelter, storage room and rest rooms. The park is located at 35th Street and 22nd Avenue. The structure will be the first facility on the 8-acre tract.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Women who dislike pumping gas in their cars have a special treat waiting for them at the Union 76 Independent Oil Co. service station on East 19th Street in East Moline. They can sit in their cars while their gas is pumped for them, and save 15 cents a gallon. They get the self-service price. But only on Tuesday and Thursday.
Back: Available days in August 2008