Day in history for August 1, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Great American Circus did not arrive in time to perform yesterday. They were stuck in the mud between here and Albany the greater part of the day.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Police Magistrate Cropper turned over $118.25 he had collected in fines during July to the city treasurer today.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. G.H. VanKock of Stockholm, Sweden, a famous reformer, is a visitor at Augustana College this week.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- A petition requesting a reduction of 20 percent in the assessed valuation of all property in Rock Island County was presented to the Board of Review today by the Moline TaxpayersAndrsquo; Association. The petition claims property in Rock Island County is assessed at a much higher valuation than the downstate average and surrounding counties.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- With the first-class postage rate going up from 3 to 4 cents at midnight last night the volume of cancellations at the Rock Island Post Office jumped to 98,460 pieces, compared to a normal volume of 70,000, as residents and business firms sought to save a cent postage on each letter.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Plans for constructing a new $4.6 million parish building complex were announced Sunday by officials at St. MalachyAndrsquo;s Church. The complex is to be built on 18 acres south of Meadow Lawn Subdivision at the southwest edge of Geneseo.
Back: Available days in August 2008