Day in history for July 9, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We have heretofore neglected to mention that our old friend Henry A. McPike has become associate editor and publisher of the Johnstown, Pa., Echo.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Will Catton of St. Louis and H.J. Synes of Rock Island will put on an exhibition billiard match tonight at Goldensteen's Parlors.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Protests have been made to the city council that the proposed wheel tax ordinance is unfair.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- With but one day remaining to cast votes in the High School Student's Travel Opportunity campaign, the contest still remained anybody's race today as standings through Friday evening were announced. Robert Kale leads the boys with 17,081,000 votes and Alice Betts leads in the girls division with 20,791,000 votes cast for her.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The third annual family basket picnic for Rock Island city employees is scheduled to be held from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9, at the Gra-El private picnic grounds three-and-a-half miles east of the Quad-City Airport on Highway 6.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County's new jail will cost $586,650 less than was expected. The Rock Island County Public Building Commission opened general contracting bids Friday afternoon and awarded the job to Darin and Armstrong Inc. of Peoria.
Back: Available days in July 2008