Day in history for July 8, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Kelter has just finished a set of Masonic jewels for Fort Armstrong Lodge of Masons. It excels anything of the kind ever before seen in Rock Island.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island City Council is expected to discuss the practicality of having a paid fire department in the city.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Exposition became a reality at the first meeting of stockholders last night at the Harper House.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The possibility that the Rock Island Arsenal will receive contracts for Naval ordnance and other equipment it can manufacture for the Navy under the projected Naval building program was viewed optimistically by Congressman Chester Thompson of Rock Island today.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The Scott County Oral Deaf School will benefit from the fifth annual Parade of Homes Ball Sept 6. Chairmen making arrangements for the event are Mrs. George Shoemaker, decorations; Mrs. Ken Kuebler, general chairman; Mrs. Steve Spelletich, publicity, and Mrs. William Covemaker, tickets. Scott Clark's orchestra will provide music.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- No one in Sherrard has to ask how William Allen's garden grows. The beauty of the flowers and vegetables speaks for itself, reflecting the care the lifetime village resident provides.
Back: Available days in July 2008