Day in history for July 7, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The pleasant Fourth of July celebration had a sad finale. Flames were issuing from the roof of the new Rock Island High School building. Because of low water pressure, nothing could be done, but to stand by and see the structure burn to the ground.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Police are complaining of dull business, not one arrest this week.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- More than 15,000 Tri-City residents were at Watch Tower Park over the weekend.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Assurance that the police department will cooperate with the mayor and city council in carrying out orders for law enforcement in Rock Island was voiced by Chief Herman Sehnert at a conference with Herman P. Brown, mayor pro tempore.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A submerged log ripped their 22-foot cabin cruiser to the tune of $1,400 damage, but Rock Islanders Mr. and Mrs. Frank MacDougall escaped without serious injury in a Mississippi River boat accident last Monday near LaCrosse, Wis.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A group of 22 Girl Scouts went camping last week and really got back to the Andquot;BASICs.Andquot; The Andquot;BASICsAndquot; stand for Andquot;Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction CodeAndquot; - basic computer language. The group attended a computer camp sponsored by the Mississippi Valley Girl Scout Council at its office, 2011 2nd Ave., Rock Island.
Back: Available days in July 2008