Day in history for July 5, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Sunday Schools had a grand time on the Island. Hundreds of happy hearts throbbed with joy.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island City Council approved of the erection of a band pavilion in Franklin Park.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Coal Valley had a threatening fire this morning. Flames broke out in a building occupied by a saloon and a barber shop.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- All Methodist churches of Rock Island -- First, Spencer, Memorial and Centenary -- will have delegations at the opening session of the Galesburg District camp meeting at Milan Methodist campground tomorrow night. The speaker at the initial services will be the Rev. Axel Pearson of Bethel Methodist Church, Moline.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A 12-foot illuminated water fountain was dedicated at brief ceremonies last night at the Memri Drive-In Theater at Milan. Dedication of the fountain commemorated the 11th year of the drive-in theater and the approaching Milan Indian Summer Festival.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- According to the PGA, charity is the big winner on its tour. This year's Miller High Life QCO will benefit Arrowhead Ranch and the Davenport Development Center. The open has been contributing to charity since its very beginning in 1971. In that first year $12,000 was distributed to more than 20 charities.
Back: Available days in July 2008