Day in history for July 5, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
The Sunday Schools had a grand time on the Island. Hundreds of happy hearts throbbed with joy.

1883 -- 125 years ago
The Rock Island City Council approved of the erection of a band pavilion in Franklin Park.

1908 -- 100 years ago
Coal Valley had a threatening fire this morning. Flames broke out in a building occupied by a saloon and a barber shop.

1933 -- 75 years ago
All Methodist churches of Rock Island -- First, Spencer, Memorial and Centenary -- will have delegations at the opening session of the Galesburg District camp meeting at Milan Methodist campground tomorrow night. The speaker at the initial services will be the Rev. Axel Pearson of Bethel Methodist Church, Moline.

1958 -- 50 years ago
A 12-foot illuminated water fountain was dedicated at brief ceremonies last night at the Memri Drive-In Theater at Milan. Dedication of the fountain commemorated the 11th year of the drive-in theater and the approaching Milan Indian Summer Festival.

1983 -- 25 years ago
According to the PGA, charity is the big winner on its tour. This year's Miller High Life QCO will benefit Arrowhead Ranch and the Davenport Development Center. The open has been contributing to charity since its very beginning in 1971. In that first year $12,000 was distributed to more than 20 charities.

Back: Available days in July 2008



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)