Day in history for July 31, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- It is well known that the Episcopal Church, under the leadership of the Rev. Mr. Stanley, had been erected and paid for through the energy and perseverance of its members.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The cornerstone of the new county building will be put in place this afternoon.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. E. M. Sala and Dr. Ralph Dart will represent Rock Island at an international tuberculosis congress in Washington, D.C., in September.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The 51 members of the Black Hawk Hiking Club of the Tri-Cities who participated in the 14th annual big hike returned to their home last night after a 3,600-mile trip through the New England States. The hike was held under the direction of John H. Hauberg of Rock Island.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- If great confusion is to be avoided when the new postal rates go into effect at 12:01 tonight, those who use the mails will need to make a special effort to comply with the new rates. Any physical reminder that you can set up on a desk or table will improve your memory. A chart of the new rates, which The Argus is publishing today, can be clipped out and used for this purpose
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Venture Discount Stores in Moline and Davenport will offer 10 percent discounts to shoppers 62 or older beginning Aug 3.
Back: Available days in July 2008