Day in history for July 30, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The work on the high school building is progressing. The foundation, the entire wall on the south side and small portions on the other side are standing.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Many are expected to attend the band concert in Union and Franklin Parks tonight.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The weather has remained fine here in recent weeks with just enough rain to keep the farmers happy. The outlook is for a very good corn crop this year.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Manager Riley Parker of the Islanders said today he expects to use Al Hollingsworth, star southpaw, in the game with Cincinnati next Monday. Parker also stated that he believes Hollingsworth will be grabbed by a major league club before the season is over and the Reds have first choice.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Why are schools in operation only nine months of the year? This was the question John L. Kline, chief products engineer, unit ventilator department, American Air Filter Co. Inc., Louisville, Ky., put before the Rock Island Rotary Club at yesterday's meeting in the Fort Armstrong Hotel. Kline presented a film showing the advantages of air conditioners in schools.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Soaring temperatures caused power problems for area residents and businesses in Sterling, Rock Falls and Prophetstown Friday afternoon.
Back: Available days in July 2008