Day in history for July 3, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A fine two-story building is going up on Water Street, between Jefferson and Washington Streets.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- More than half of the appropriation for street work already has been spent by the city street commissioner.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The new wage scale for post office clerks went into effect in Rock Island today.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Four Rock Island students at the University of Illinois maintained perfect grades during the second semester of the year. The four are Richard S. Langman, Miss Helen Clevenstine, Mary Alice Long and William D. Snively.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The second annual Andquot;Shirt-SleevesAndquot; Concert by the Moline Summer Symphony Orchestra will be presented at 8 p.m., July 16, in the Moline High School auditorium. The Moline Summer Symphony is a unique group of musicians, 62 in all, who rehearse together for six weeks during the summer and present a full concert at the end of that period. Admission to the concert will be free to the public.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Geneseo Knights Drum and Bugle Corps has been ranked among the top 10 drum and bugle corps in the world. The corps competed in the final rounds of competition in the Drum Corps International Eastern Regional Saturday in Allentown, Pa., and finished sixth out of 25 corps.
Back: Available days in July 2008