Day in history for July 29, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A man with a girl aged 11 wishes to find a home for her with a good, respectable family. She is smart and capable of taking care of children.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Hiram Pedfield of Belleville, Ill., will take charge of the Rock Island House in August.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The highest temperature of the year was reached yesterday with a reading of 92 degrees.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- More than 2,500 persons attended the public picnic held yesterday afternoon and last night at Long View Park in Rock Island under the auspices of Amoo Grotto. The baseball game between the Rock Island firemen and Amoo Grotto team featured the afternoon program. Firemen won by 24-4.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The electric fence around the inside of the moat circling monkey island in Fejervary Park was being raised three feet today. The move was authorized by the park board in an effort to keep the monkeys on the island. Five went over the wall yesterday. Three were missing early today.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- After a few days of comparative relief, the battle to stay cool is once again heating up in the Quad-Cities. Yesterday's high of 102 tied the record for July 28, set in 1916. Iowa-Illinois Gas Andamp; Electric Co., are sweating out another peak usage period.
Back: Available days in July 2008