Day in history for July 28, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The boy mentioned yesterday as being injured proves to be a girl. Her injuries were not as great as reported, she having been only slightly injured.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The firm of Schermer and Greve has been awarded the contract for painting the toll houses on Rock River bridges. They will do the job for $850.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Burglars entered the post office in Silvis last night and stole about $75 in stamps and cash.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- According to word from the floriculture division of the agricultural college at the University of Illinois, Rock Island and western Illinois home owners who have taken the hose and gone to the rescue of their lawns during the current drought will need to apply the equivalent of a half inch of rain each two weeks to keep the grass in good condition.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Workmen today were busy in some sections of the Quad-City area cleaning up limbs from streets and repairing utility wires after thunderstorms yesterday. Most of the damage was caused by wind and lightning. Rural areas also were hit.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Unemployment in the Quad-Cities rose to 15.3 percent in June for 14.8 percent in May as factories shut down and young people entering the work force failed to find jobs.
Back: Available days in July 2008