Day in history for July 27, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We have noticed the fact that at every public entertainment, given at Island City Hall, it is the custom for a number of urchins from six to fourteen years of age to congregate in front of the hall and disturb the audience by hallooing and whistling, which is a great annoyance.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Workmen today are filling in Eighteenth Street between First and Second Avenues. It is a needed improvement.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Formal dedication of the new pipe organ presented to the German Lutheran church, Twentieth Street and Fifth Avenue, by Fred Weyerhaeuser will take place tomorrow.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Encouraging activity in Rock Island was itemized in The Argus and was based on a survey by the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce. There are many indications of apparent industrial and business recovery. Construction work is increasing and buildings are being remodeled.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Installation of a swimming pool, water service from Port Byron, and improved sanitation facilities are projects scheduled to be undertaken in the camp development at Girl Scout Camp Shabonee.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A new shopping mall to be built in north Davenport will offer name-brand merchandise at a reduced cost and could put 300 Quad-Citians to work. The Centre will consist of about 35 stores.
Back: Available days in July 2008