Day in history for July 24, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Some very fine corn was brought to town last Thursday.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- A sum of $46,600 has been appropriated for improvements on the Mississippi River harbor at Rock Island.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Jasper Sievers was awarded the contract for remodeling the city hall. His bid was $10,370.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- All box seats at Douglas Park, with the exception of five along the third base line, have been sold for the Rock Island-Cincinnati baseball game next Monday night. A capacity crowd is expected for the contest.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The first swimming pool in Erie is being built at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Brahm. Mr. Brahm expects the pool to be completed this weekend. The pool is 12 1/2 feet by 26 1/2 feet with a depth of seven feet at one end and three feet at the other end. The 15,000 gallons of water in the pool is filtered continuously. Underwater lighting will be added for nighttime swimming.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Officials of the Rock Island County Fair finally called it quits after a week of sweltering heat. All livestock was sent home except the 4-H livestock, which was auctioned Saturday. Fair officials met Friday and decided for the safety of the animals to release show livestock after temperatures began to cool down.
Back: Available days in July 2008