Day in history for July 21, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We are going to have a live circus in Rock Island next Wednesday. It is Spalding and Rogers' celebrated company. They have the reputation of being the best organization now traveling.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Carpenters are at work putting up a new bandstand at Franklin Park.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. F.J. Rolf of Massena, Iowa, has accepted a call to the pastorage of the German Evangelical Church, Rock Island.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Operation and maintenance of two Rock Island departments of public safety - the fire and police department - will cost $94,250 during the year - which began April 1 under appropriations fixed by the city council. The fire department will get $59,250 and the police, $35,000.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Babe DeMay, Rock Island, won the expert finals class in the motorcycle races run yesterday afternoon at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds before approximately 2,500 fans.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Paula Bonduelle was a representative from United Township High School at the 18th annual summer workshop for newspapers at Eastern Illinois University, Charleston. Bonduelle served as news editor for MASH Raps, a newspaper produced by the high school journalist during the camp. She won the best editorial award.
Back: Available days in July 2008