Day in history for July 20, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- In place of Judge Douglas' speech to the German Democracy, we publish an account of his reception at different points between Chicago and Bloomington last Friday. We wish to give the reception while it is fresh: the speech will not spoil by keeping.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Black Hawk brewery and stables in Davenport were destroyed by fire this morning.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Mayor H.C. Schafer and 10 aldermen are at Chicago to investigate the waterworks of that city.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- One of the bins in the Osco elevator burst yesterday afternoon and about two thousand four hundred bushels of corn were spilled in the driveway. Volunteers with shovels arrived and scooped the corn into the dump until the bin could be fixed.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The Lions Club's latest project is Andquot;Operation Pillow Clean.Andquot; Housewives taking their pillows to the unit will get to see the process while their pillows are being completely renovated. Tests showed that in feathers treated by ultra-violet light and ozone, the bacteria count was 94 per cent less than before.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- An unusually high incidence of leukemia and another blood disorder in Atkinson and the surrounding area has prompted an investigation by state health and environmental agencies.
Back: Available days in July 2008