Day in history for July 2, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Mozart is the name of the new saloon which just opened in the room next door to the Rock Island post office. It is fitted with much taste.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Thousands attended the open air concert in Union Square last night.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- William B. McIntyre and C.H. Seidel were reelected to the Rock Island Board of Education yesterday.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- More than 50 Jewish residents of Rock Island, including 15 members of Rock Island Lodge No. 1016, B'nai Brith, were in Chicago today to attend the Jewish Day celebration at the World's Fair. The B'Nai Brith group also will attend a district convention of the lodge at the LaSalle Hotel.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Monte Hance was installed as president of the Rock Island Rotary Club at the weekly luncheon meeting yesterday noon in the Fort Armstrong Hotel. He succeeds Melvin L. McKay. C. Ray Wilson, installing officer, presented McKay with a diamond past president's lapel pin.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Chris Gulley, Mike Carron and Johann VanBeest are featured in Shakespeare's Andquot;The Taming of the Shrew,Andquot; current production of Genesius Guild in the outdoor classic theater, Lincoln Park, Rock Island. Performances are at 8:30 tonight and Sunday and at the same time July 9 and 10. Admission is free.
Back: Available days in July 2008