Day in history for July 19, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Thomas Reilly has lost his coat somewhere. He says he will pay $5 to anyone who will leave it at this office.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Ben T. Cable was elected an officer of the Davenport Boat Club last night.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- A Taft Club was organized by a group of Republicans at Turner hall last night.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Twenty-five night employees of the Rock Island Lines depot of Rock Island enjoyed a stag outing today at Credit Island. In a baseball game between the roundhouse and fire department of the railroad, a home run by Frank Bledsoe in the ninth inning gave the roundhouse team the victory.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Twenty persons received certificates last night upon the successful completion of a 1-week course designed to teach them how to teach handicapped persons to swim. The sessions were held at the Rock Island YWCA pool. Ernie Goetz, first aid and water safety representative for the American Red Cross, conducted the course.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Todd Rosenthal, an assistant varsity wrestling coach at East Moline, finished fourth in the International Wrestling Tournament in East Germany. Rosenthal, competing in the Greco-Roman division, defeated an East German, a Bulgarian and a Czechoslovakian before losing two matches to Russian competitors.
Back: Available days in July 2008