Day in history for July 18, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Our office was honored by a serenade by the Rock Island Sax Horn Band.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The new street car on the Milan road proved to be of a too narrow gauge and will have to be replaced.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island merchants are jubilant today as the circus yesterday brought thousands of visitors to the city.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- E.J. VanHoutte of East Moline and Joe Burke of Rock Island were tied for top place in the Sears, Roebuck Andamp; Co., handicap golf tournament at the Saukie public links of Rock Island, each turning in a score of net 69. They will engage in a match play next Sunday to determine the champion.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Whisked in a moment from a cold, rainy night in Illinois to a bright, sunny morning on an Oklahoma farm -- that was the experience of nearly a thousand music lovers who braved the chilly drizzle to fill the Prospect Park auditorium to capacity for the opening of the Quad-City Music Guild's production of Andquot;Oklahoma!Andquot; last night.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The so-called Andquot;dog days of summerAndquot; could more correctly be called the Andquot;hog daysAndquot; of summer. High temperatures and humidity combine to put livestock under unusual stress. Geneseo Rendering Service Co. has already picked up twice as many dead animals now than all of last year.
Back: Available days in July 2008