Day in history for July 16, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Morgan, driver of the hack between here and Fulton City, came down yesterday in six hours, including one hour for feed and the usual time for changing the mail. This is good traveling.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The monthly temperance meeting of the Broadway Presbyterian Church was held tonight.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Barnum and Bailey Circus will stage a huge street parade tomorrow morning.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Burglars entered the home of Mr. and Mrs. M.L. Yeager, 1229 2nd Ave., Rock Island, early today and stole $5 in change from the pocket of Mr. Yeager's trousers and three rings from a dressing table.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A summer music festival of various groups sponsored by the Moline Board of Education will be presented at 7:30 Friday night at Wharton Field House. No admission fee will be charged, and the public is invited. All of the groups have been participating in a summer music program.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Faith and humility were two of the greatest virtues possessed by Alleman basketball coach Don Morris. Before a large crowd at St. Pius X Church in Rock Island, those virtues were carried out to the final Andquot;AmenAndquot; at his funeral. Morris had requested no eulogy and Rev. Eugene Kane of St. Puis X carried out his wish.
Back: Available days in July 2008