Day in history for July 15, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- It is with pleasure we notice that stone heap on East Street is being flattened out. It has been in the road for several months.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Stone for the foundation of the new Rock Island county office building is being delivered.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- John D. Cady defeated Ardo Mitchell, 5 to 4 in the Western Association Golf Championship games at the Arsenal this morning.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Announcement was made at the offices of Modern Woodmen of America in Rock Island today of the appointment of Harman L. Ruff as assistant head clerk, and John C. Phillips as secretary to head clerk. J.G. Ray. Ruff has been serving since 1921 as secretary to the head clerk.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The Scott County Humane Society has been receiving city dog license fees illegally since 1952, city attorney Maxwell Miller uncovered today. As a result, the Davenport city council this week is scheduled to approve a resolution renewing a contract with the humane society for the care of animals. Andquot;It apparently was an oversight by previous councils when the contract came due,Andquot; Miller stated.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Dr. Gary Pynckel, Bettendorf, an osteopathic and general practice physician, has been selected for the 1983 Outstanding Young Men of America Award.
Back: Available days in July 2008