Day in history for July 13, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Some few weeks ago, the farmers throughout Rock Island and adjoining counties, made calculations on having the present harvest a fine crop of wheat. But in these calculations, we regret to say, they are doomed to be disappointed. Within the last ten days, the Andquot;spotAndquot; has taken hold of the wheat, which is destroying it at an alarming extent.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- City officials advised all Rock Island residents to purify the city water before drinking it.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- It is reported that many large and new orders are being received by the Rock Island Tool company.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Flying at a rate of 807.51 yards per minute, a pigeon owned by Camiel Schuyvens, 1724 Sixth St., Rock Island, won first in the race held Sunday by the Rock Island Pigeon club from Stuart, Iowa.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Thirty-four youngsters from Bethany Home, Moline, had the experience of cruising on the Mississippi River on Saturday, through the courtesy of the Cordova Boat Club. Eleven members of the club provided boats for the excursion.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Moline school officials say the district will post a $1.3 million surplus for the next school year, after a $2.7 million deficit pushed it to the brink of bankruptcy last year.
Back: Available days in July 2008