Day in history for July 12, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A Rock Island woman was taken to Jacksonville to be placed in an insane asylum. While on her way to Jacksonville she gave conclusive proof of her insanity. There is no affliction more to be regretted than insanity.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- A telephone line soon will be connected between Rock Island and Maquoketa, Iowa.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- B.D. Connelly made the presentation speech at the dedication exercises at Long View Park yesterday.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Work of rehabilitating the plant of the Rock Island Brewing Co. will be undertaken immediately with a view toward starting the manufacture of beer in a few weeks, Gustave Tegeler, general manager, announced today. Expenditure of about $203,000 are contemplated to put the brewery in operation.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The second meeting of the Barstow Teenagers was followed by a square dance Wednesday night in the Barstow District fire house. The McCalls of East Moline were instructors.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Arte Johnson, best known for his comedy work on the TV show Andquot;Laugh-In,Andquot; came to the Quad-Cities Monday afternoon, along with Lee Van Cleef, another well-known Hollywood actor, for a press conference prior to appearing at Pro-Am day at the Miller High Life Quad Cities Open at Oakwood Country Club Wednesday.
Back: Available days in July 2008